New Forest
 - Explorers
     Guide
New Forest
Explorers Guide
Ashurst station
Pony near Hampton Ridge
For comprehensive information about the New Forest National Park
For comprehensive information about the New Forest National Park
MENU

Brockenhurst history - an introduction

The water splash has been a picturesque feature of Brockenhurst for a great many years
The water splash has been a picturesque feature
of Brockenhurst for a great many years

Brockenhurst has a long and colourful history, including a tradition that badgers, or brocks, as they are often called, lent their name to the village.

Not everybody is convinced, however, even though badgers are common local residents, for many consider it more likely that the name comes from a remarkably similar pre-Norman Conquest version, Brocenhyrst, which refers to a ‘broken wooded hill’, as in a hill intersected by streams or featuring many clearings.

But whatever the name derivation, Brockenhurst is an ancient place. In fact, Brockenhurst has reputedly the oldest church in the New Forest – that dedicated to St. Nicholas, on the outskirts of the village. The presence of a church in Brockenhurst was mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 – Brockenhurst was then called Broceste - and was the only New Forest church recorded.

Within the church, evidence of Saxon and Norman work remains, although much of the building is of later date. And in the best of traditions, beside the porch stands a magnificent yew tree that is said to be over 1,000 years old.

Close to Brockenhurst Parish Church is Brockenhurst House, set apart from the village in its splendid parkland environment. Back in 1789, Richardson, King and Driver on the first reasonably accurate, relatively large scale map of the New Forest showed the house as occupied by Edwd. Morant Esqr, then newly arrived in the village with wealth from sugar plantations in Jamaica.

Brookley Road in the early 20th century
Brookley Road in the early 20th century

He purchased the site in 1769, along with nearby Roydon Manor in 1771, and replaced an existing Elizabethan farmhouse with a palatial Georgian structure which itself gave way in the late-1950s to the present building.

New Park is a short distance to the north of Brockenhurst, and like the New Forest, is not ‘new’ at all. In fact, a reference to New Park was first noted in 1484 when the name was used to differentiate it from Lyndhurst Old Park, a medieval deer park with even greater pedigree. New Park was a favourite hunting lodge of King Charles II who in 1670 extended the grounds to accommodate a herd of red deer brought over from France.

Brockenhurst’s growth, though, from a tiny hamlet to today’s substantially sized village, was more closely associated with improved transport links, than with church, parks or manor houses.

First, in 1765, the turnpike arrived in Brockenhurst. Operated by The Lymington, Lyndhurst and Rumbridge Turnpike Trust, this road ran along the route of the current A337, and by 1789, Richardson, King and Driver show numerous properties dotted along the roadside, including the Rose and Crown Alehouse.

Then along came the railway. Opened in 1847 as part of the Southampton to Dorchester line, the railway brought an influx of visitors from towns along the route, and significantly stimulated business and housing expansion - by 1901, the 1841 population of 928 had increased to 1,585.

Growth, though, was relatively slow. The 1870s Ordnance Survey map continues to show a relatively sparsely populated area, although by the time of the 1898 and 1909 maps, the layout of much of today’s village is evident, particularly around the station and the part of Brookley Road that now forms the main shopping street. Notice on all three maps that the Watersplash is marked as a 'ford'.

And whilst the old parish church, located ½ kilometre (1/3 mile) from the new village centre, did not move with the people, another church, St. Saviour’s, was built. Construction started in 1895, and the church hosted its first congregation in 1905. Services continue to be shared between ‘old’ and ‘new’ churches.

The Balmer Lawn Hotel in the early 20th century
The Balmer Lawn Hotel in the early 20th century

During the First World War, wounded soldiers from the trenches were brought to Brockenhurst to be treated in hospitals set up in some of the village’s larger houses and hotels, and in fields near the old parish church. Many of the troops were from around the British Empire, from Australia, Canada, India and New Zealand. Indeed, the graves of almost 100 New Zealanders can be found in the parish churchyard, not far from the grave of Brusher Mills, the renowned New Forest snake-catcher.

Brockenhurst played its part, too, in the Second World War. The Balmer Lawn Hotel, for example, was pressed into service, first as a Staff College, then as the Divisional Headquarters of the Royal Marine Infantry Division, and later for planning the invasion of Normandy.

Brockenhurst today thrives as a popular residential area and New Forest visitor destination. And, of course, history continues to be made.

Find out more about Brockenhurst's fascinating history

and finally, find out about Brockenhurst's history as revealed on these old maps

and in these old pictures

References:
Hampshire Place Names: Richard Coates
Domesday Book: General Editor, John Morris
Brockenhurst Parish Council: http://www.nfdc.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=504
Country House History around Lymington, Brockenhurst and Milford-on-Sea:
Blake Pinnell

Brockenhurst Park information board
History of Highcliffe: http://www.highcliffevillage.co.uk/history/railways2.htm
Hampshire County Council

Quick links

More links

Other related links

 Search this site


New Forest seasonal highlights
September
Dragonflies and damselflies remain on the wing and so do butterflies, but in ever decreasing numbers.
Hen harriers and other autumn and winter visiting birds begin to arrive in the Forest.
Mysterious New Forest fungi - mushrooms and toadstools increasingly appear in the woods.
Red deer start to noisily rut as stags roar songs of love across favoured heaths.


October
Ancient, unenclosed woodlands and broad-leaved inclosures increasingly take on colourful autumnal hues.
Grey squirrels frantically seek out and store acorns for use during the cold days of winter.
Fallow deer boisterously rut for two or three weeks around the middle of the month before the bucks leave the does and eventually re-form their own male-only 'buck herds'.
New Forest ponies
New Forest ponies in the road
New Forest ponies, cattle, pigs, sheep and donkeys are a popular part of the New Forest scene, but in 2015, 55 were killed on the roads.
Always take care when driving
New Forest 'what's on' - a small
selection of local events and activities
September 2017
Thursday, 7th - Lyndhurst Community Centre, Paraphernalia Fair, 9.00am - 5.00pm.
Friday, 8th - Brockenhurst Village Hall, Film night - Their Finest (12A), 7.00pm - 10.30pm.
Friday, 15th - Lyndhurst Community Centre, An Audience with Simon King, 7.30pm.
Saturday, 23rd - New Forest Walking Festival Fringe - Milkham Meander, 10.00am - 12.00noon. Advance booking essential.

October 2017
Saturday, 30th September and Sunday, 1st October - Burley Steam and Vintage Vehicle Show, Burley Park.
Saturday 14th October to Sunday, 29th October - New Forest Walking Festival, various locations and times.
Saturday, 28th October - Burley Village Hall, Craft Fayre, 10.30am to 5.00pm.
For further details, view the full New Forest What's on programme.
Content produced by Andrew Walmsley
Content produced by Andrew Walmsley